My two lovely daughters, Caity and Meg love chocolate Brownies, so I am always interested in finding the ultimate recipe for them…and here it is!
- 200 g butter
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- Zest of one orange
- ½ tsp orange essence
- 4 large eggs
- 300 g caster sugar
- 100 g cake flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 200 g dark orange chocolate, chopped (Lindt is great)
- 100 g chopped almonds (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Put the butter, dark chocolate and orange rind into the top of a double boiler and heat gently until melted and smooth.
3. Allow to cool slightly and stir in the orange essence.
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy.
5. Gently stir in the cooled chocolate mixture.
6. Sift the flour and cocoa, stir and add to the mixture.
7. Now add the orange chocolate in small chunks.
8. Pour into the lined baking tray and bake for about 40 minutes.
9. Cool in the tin and then cut into squares.
10. Decorate with caramelised orange rind.
11. Serve for a tea-time treat or with whipped cream or orange cream, as a dessert.
These Brownies last for ages if you store them in an airtight container, but its best to hide them away 🙂