I love keeping Caramelised sliced oranges and rind wrapped in baking paper ready to decorate a dish or tart or DIY projects.
- 2 firm oranges, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp sugar for sprinkling
1. Slice the oranges thinly, removing any pips.
2. Mix together the water, sugar and bring to the boil over medium to high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the orange slices in a single layer and simmer for twenty minutes, turning occasionally until they are lightly candied and translucent and the syrup reduces and thickens.
5. Allow to cool in the pan. Add the orange juice. Cover and chill for at least 15 minutes. Gently lift the candied orange slices from the syrup and blot dry. Arrange on a baking sheet/s and sprinkle with sugar.
If you would like your candied oranges to be more dehydrated, place them in the oven on an oven tray at 120 degrees C for an hour or more and then turn the oven off and allow to cool in the oven gradually.
These candied oranges can be used almost immediately to decorate you cake, tart or dessert and other DIY projects. Below are some of my recent festive ideas using caramelised oranges.