- 1 cup brandy
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange rind
- 1x 750 ml bottle of dry inexpensive red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 1 lime, sliced into rounds (opt)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (opt)
- 8 maraschino cherries (or fresh cherries in season, pitted and halved)
- 1 cup soda water (or ginger ale)
1. In a large pot, combine the brandy, orange juice, orange rind, red wine, triple sec, cinnamon sticks and sugar.
2. Bring gradually to the boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
3. Allow to cool and then transfer to a glass jug.
4. Float slices of lemon, orange, lime and maraschino cherries in the mixture.
5. Chill overnight for the best flavour.
For fizzy Sangria add soda water just before serving (or for a sweeter sangria substitute ginger ale for soda water.