This recipe was given to me by Richard Poynton of Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands’ renowned hotel, ‘Cleopatra,’ and it is simply and utterly delicious.
- 4 oranges, segmented
- 100 g dried dates, cut or broken into small pieces
- 100 g cashew nuts, lightly fried in butter and then salted
- Assorted fresh salad leaves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 Tbsp clear honey
- 5 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
1. Place all the dressing ingredients in a screw- top jar and shake well.
2. Place a ring mould on the plate and layer the salad ingredients, dribbling the dressing between the layers.
3. Remove the ring, drizzle extra dressing around the salad and serve immediately.