Tahini is a paste made from toasted sesame seeds and is very simple to make. It has a wonderful nutty, toasted flavour and is the main ingredient in Halva, Baba Ganoush and Hummus. (See Spicy Orange Hummus)
140 g (1 cup) sesame seeds
4 Tbsp light olive oil or grapeseed oil
Pinch of salt (optional)
1. Toast a cup of sesame seeds in a dry saucepan over medium to low heat for about 3 or 4 minutes, stirring constantly until a golden brown. Be careful as the seeds burn easily.
2. Allow to cool on a baking tray.
3. Place in a food processor or blender and add 3 Tbsp oil.
4. Blend to a smooth paste.The mixture should be able to be poured so add the extra 1 Tbsp oil if necessary.
5. Add salt to taste. (optional)
6. Chill for about an hour before serving.
Make a double batch and store in a sterilised glass jar in the fridge until needed, as it lasts for at least a month.