I found this recipe on a lovely Blog called chilli&mint.com and tested it out here and it turned out even more wonderful than I expected. The combination of fennel and orange is always perfect and the sauce is so delicious. A great accompaniment to any dish.
- 4 fennel bulbs with stems and fronds
- 2 large oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 80ml fresh orange juice
- 30ml masala wine (optional)
- 60ml of vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground salt and black pepper
1. Prepare the fennel bulbs by separating the bulbs, stems and fronds.
2 Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the fennel wedges and sear on all the sides. Cook for about 5 minutes until the fennel is caramelised, turning over regularly.
3 Toss in the fennel stems. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes so that the stems are well browned.
4 Now add the orange juice, wine and chicken stock and let this reduce for a few more minutes, until the sauce thickens and the fennel starts to soften and fall apart.
5 Add the red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6 Add the orange segments to the pan and stir the orange through the sauce gently.
7 Pour onto a serving platter and garnish with the fennel fronds and more red pepper flakes.