An indulgent, super moist, spicy orange cake drizzled with sticky marmalade.
Adapted for “Woman & Home”magazine, UK
- 225 ml sunflower oil
- 150 g castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp bicarb
- 275 g cake flour
- 275 g carrots, grated finely
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 75 g desiccated coconut
- 85 g chopped walnuts
- 150 g sultanas or seedless raisins
For the syrup
- 120 g marmalade *Old Fashioned Marmalade
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 100 g light brown sugar
For the filling
- 75 g butter
- 200 g cream cheese
- 50 g butter
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 175 g icing sugar
Caramelised orange zest to decorate
1. Heat the oven to 160 degrees.
2. Grease 2 x 20cm baking tins and line the bottom with baking paper.
3. Prepare the syrup by gently heating until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside and keep warm.
4. Place the sunflower oil, sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until creamy and light.
5. Fold in the cinnamon, nutmeg; bicarb and flour and mix together until you have a smooth mix.
6. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
7. Divide between the 2 prepared baking tins and bake on the middle shelf for 30 to 35 minutes and cooked through.
8. Remove from the oven and pierce several holes in each cake with a skewer. Pour over the syrup in batches.
9. Leave the cakes in their tins to cool.
10. To make the filling, beat together the butter and cream cheese until pale and fluffy. Add the marmalade, extra orange zest and orange juice. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until smooth and firm.
11. Place one cake top down on the cake server and top with the filling. Add the second cake, top side up.
12. Decorate with caramelised orange zest.