I think that this recipe for “cointreau” tastes even better than the commercial brand. It is wonderful served chilled as a shooter, or as an after dinner liqueur. It can also be used as a luxurious sauce over ice-cream or in a velvety chocolate mousse.
- 2 large 2-litre jars with tops that can seal well
- Netting used for oranges/vegetables
- 2 litres of vodka (any inexpensive brand will do)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 ‘Broadacres’ oranges
1. Dissolve the sugar with the vodka in a bowl (no need to heat.)
2. Transfer to each jar.
3. Suspend the orange over the jar in the netting.
4. Seal the jars and label to open in 8 weeks.
5. No peeping or tasting!!
6. The “Cointreau” becomes a light orange colour and the taste of the orange magically diffuses into the vodka.
As easy as that! Cheers!!