This delicious Bread and Butter pudding recipe and the photograph were posted here by my daughter Caity, who also has her own lovely Recipe Blog, mycopperpot.com. Perfect to bake around Easter time as this recipe uses Hot cross buns or Chelsea buns that can be a little stale. You can also add some orange essence to the cream mixture if you like.
- 300 ml cream
- 600 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 Hot cross buns/Chelsea buns (a few days old)
- 2 Tbsp marmalade
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 80 g soft butter
- Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Heat your oven to 170°C.
2. Warm the cream and milk in a pot over a gentle heat.
3. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl, then gradually add the warm cream mixture, being careful not to scramble the eggs.
4. Break the buns and arrange them in a large, shallow ovenproof dish.
5. Grate some orange zest and scatter with a few small cubes of butter and orange marmalade over the bread.
6. Pour the cream mixture over the bread and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
7. Bake for 50 minutes until set, then remove and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
8. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve while still warm. Best served with custard, cream or ice cream.