This scone recipe is so easy that it can be made “in a jiffy” if unexpected guests arrive for tea. Serve with this amazing orange curd; marmalade or a delicious jam and a dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 6 medium scones.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk (Add little by little until right consistency)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp castor sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Pinch salt
1. Mix sifted flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Beat egg and sugar. Add half the milk.
3. Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter and mix well.
4. Mix in as much of the leftover milk needed to reach a soft pliable consistency. (The amount seems to differ every time I make them)
5. Roll out on floured surface and cut into round shapes.
6. Bake @ 180 for 20 mins.
7. Serve freshly baked and slightly warm, with homemade jam, preserve or orange curd and a dollop of whipped cream.
If you place the scones in a Muffin pan before baking, they tend to retain their shape a little better.
Try my orange curd recipe.