- 1 kg lean lamb leg joint or rolled leg of lamb
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine the orange zest, cardamom, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary with the olive oil to form a paste.
2. Make slits in the lamb joint and carefully rub this mixture into the slits and over the whole joint.
3. Place on a rack over a roasting tray and open roast in the oven for about 1½ hours. (To calculate this time accurately allow 25 minutes for every 500g of lamb and a further 25 minutes.)
About 15 minutes before the end of this cooking time, glaze the lamb with marmalade. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Serve with roast potatoes, roast butternut and other steamed vegetables and a home-made mint jelly. Mom-in-law Mint Jelly
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp oyster sauce (opt)
- 100 ml water
- 50 ml whisky (opt)
- Malden salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour to thicken
1. Deglaze the roasting pan with the whisky.
2. Combine the other ingredients and stir into the roast pan juices. To thicken the gravy stir in the corn-flour past and cook for a further 5 minutes.