- 30 ml green cardamom pods
- 3 oranges – juice and zest
- 2 ml ground cinnamon
- 250 ml full-cream milk
- 250 whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g castor sugar
1. Place the cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle and mash until all the pods have opened. Then remove the green pods and smash the black seeds a little more.
2. Place the orange juice, zest and sugar in a small sauce pan and simmer gently until reduced by half. Cool, and then chill. *
3. Place the cardamom seeds, cinnamon, milk and cream in a pan.
4. Bring to the boil and then immediately remove from the heat.
5. Cool and allow to infuse for at 30 minutes.
6. Beat the egg yolks until creamy. Reheat cream mixture in a double boiler. Whisk 10ml into the egg mixture, and then gradually beat in the remaining cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. (Do not allow to boil or the mixture will curdle.)
7. Remove from the heat; dip the pan into cold water to stop the cooking process, then cool and chill. When well chilled, stir the orange mixture and custard together, strain, churn, and freeze
*At this stage you can combine the chilled orange syrup with any home-made ice-cream recipe as well, mix together and freeze, or use a little to drizzle over the ice-cream.