The wonderful orange and pomegranate salsa takes this stuffed eggplant dish to a whole new level. A simple and satisfying dish full of Turkish flavour.
- 4 medium eggplants or 8 small eggplants
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp red chilli pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g prepared savoury mince *
- ½ cup hummus on the side **
- 1 cup orange and pomegranate salsa to serve
- finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2 Prepare the eggplant by scooping out the flesh but leaving a 1 cm border around the inside of the eggplant. Chop up and remove the rest of the eggplant flesh and set aside.
3. Fry the onion and then add the chopped garlic and the chopped eggplant. Season with red chilli pepper flakes, paprika, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Prepare the savoury mince as per recipe and then add the eggplant mixture.
5. Arrange the eggplant shells on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
6. Stuff the meat and eggplant mixture inside the shells and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes until the eggplants are cooked and have deepened in colour.
7. Top with the orange and pomegranate salsa and coriander and serve with hummus ** on the side. See Spicy Orange Hummus
Orange and Pomegranate Salsa
- 4 oranges, segmented
- 2/3 cups pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup peeled and chopped roasted beetroot
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, stems removed and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1.Mix together the orange segments, pomegranates, beetroot, garlic, honey, oil, coriander in a bowl. This can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I prefer to only add the beetroot just before serving, as it tends to discolour the other ingredients.
*This recipe can be served as a vegan or vegetarian meal without the prepared savoury mince.